Nine days down, 171 more days to go...
What is 180 days you ask? California State law requires that schools provide at least 175 days of instruction and that students are in school for a minimum number of minutes as designated for each grade level. On average, students attend school 180 days, for approximately 6.5 hours a day. Local school districts determine their school calendar. Most schools tend to operate on a calendar year that begins in August and ends in June. Students are allowed vacation breaks in between due to local, state, national, and school holidays and events. The school district our children attend has a 180 days school year, beginning late August and ending in early June. We are now in week two, or day nine.
As you remember, I do look forward to the school year when I can get an alone time for myself... but that is not without its price. With the new school year comes the all the stresses of trying to juggle all their schedule, which just means chauffeuring kids to and from schools, sports, and any other activities I was crazy enough to let them sign up for. For the most part it shouldn't be difficult. It only becomes difficult when you multiply all the activities by four-fold. I rely heavily on the generosity of our neighbors and kids' friends... who often pick up the slack. The alternative to this busy/hectic lifestyle is not as attractive as it may seem. I'd much rather keep my children busy then have them sit in front of TV, computer or video games. If I look at each child individually, it's really not that bad... school, one sport, music lesson (although boys have two instrument lessons).
For me the hardest is getting up early in the morning. My oldest boy, who is an over-achiever, starts school at an 6:50am! And although my boys both attend the same school this year, it really doesn't help because my second boy starts school at 7:50! And my girls start school at 8:30... so you see, from 6am to 8:30am I'm busy getting kids up and ready, and chauffeuring them to their schools. Only after 8:30am I am able to get myself together, get a bite to eat, and go on with my day... which usually happens later than sooner. During the school hours it's also very important to line up my chores/errands in most efficient manner... making sure it's all done before the pick-up schedule starts. From 2:30pm, all hell breaks loose! Don't ask... it's a mess!
If you remember seeing my calendar from previous entry (I think back in July), I mentioned how much busier it gets during the school year. Well, it really does. But everything runs like a well-oiled machine around here... unless something gets canceled/changed. Then it messes up the whole schedule! I usually try to incorporate "elective activities" slowly... once our "main schedule" is stabilized. That means we try out our school schedule for couple weeks first, then we figure out where we can fit in music lessons, etc. Once that schedule is stabilized then I can think about scheduling in any activity for myself. One thing I've been wanting to "schedule in" my calendar, but have neglected, is a regular physical activity for myself. I'm embarrassed to say I still haven't been able to find the time to exercise regularly. But this time I am really going to fit it in. I'm not getting younger, and I need to keep myself healthy. I want to live a healthy, long life. So wish me luck as I attempt to tackle another 171 more school days!
As you remember, I do look forward to the school year when I can get an alone time for myself... but that is not without its price. With the new school year comes the all the stresses of trying to juggle all their schedule, which just means chauffeuring kids to and from schools, sports, and any other activities I was crazy enough to let them sign up for. For the most part it shouldn't be difficult. It only becomes difficult when you multiply all the activities by four-fold. I rely heavily on the generosity of our neighbors and kids' friends... who often pick up the slack. The alternative to this busy/hectic lifestyle is not as attractive as it may seem. I'd much rather keep my children busy then have them sit in front of TV, computer or video games. If I look at each child individually, it's really not that bad... school, one sport, music lesson (although boys have two instrument lessons).
For me the hardest is getting up early in the morning. My oldest boy, who is an over-achiever, starts school at an 6:50am! And although my boys both attend the same school this year, it really doesn't help because my second boy starts school at 7:50! And my girls start school at 8:30... so you see, from 6am to 8:30am I'm busy getting kids up and ready, and chauffeuring them to their schools. Only after 8:30am I am able to get myself together, get a bite to eat, and go on with my day... which usually happens later than sooner. During the school hours it's also very important to line up my chores/errands in most efficient manner... making sure it's all done before the pick-up schedule starts. From 2:30pm, all hell breaks loose! Don't ask... it's a mess!
If you remember seeing my calendar from previous entry (I think back in July), I mentioned how much busier it gets during the school year. Well, it really does. But everything runs like a well-oiled machine around here... unless something gets canceled/changed. Then it messes up the whole schedule! I usually try to incorporate "elective activities" slowly... once our "main schedule" is stabilized. That means we try out our school schedule for couple weeks first, then we figure out where we can fit in music lessons, etc. Once that schedule is stabilized then I can think about scheduling in any activity for myself. One thing I've been wanting to "schedule in" my calendar, but have neglected, is a regular physical activity for myself. I'm embarrassed to say I still haven't been able to find the time to exercise regularly. But this time I am really going to fit it in. I'm not getting younger, and I need to keep myself healthy. I want to live a healthy, long life. So wish me luck as I attempt to tackle another 171 more school days!
2 comments:
how do you do it????? it's only been a few weeks and i'm dying already...it's the morning thing. i'm not a morning person. i get up at 6am!!!! argh!! school is keeping me busy, my house has been soooo neglected this week... i only have 2 kids...i can't even imagine what it's like with 4 older ones!!!! :O
i, too, want to start a physical activity once i get used to my new schedule. i am at my heaviest (minus pregnancy) and am soooo out of shape. let's go through it together!! whenever i feel like slacking you can get me back on track. :P hehe
LOL... don't make me laugh kathy. heaviest? i've seen your pictures. so you FINALLY got into the three digits? listen, we're on a whole different ball game here... you have NO idea!
as far as the new lifestyle/schedule is concerned, it will get better once you get used to it. and don't worry about neglecting the housework... it'll always wait for you. your sanity is more important than a clean house. what's important is that your family is taken care of first...
Post a Comment