It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!
(and no, I'm not referring to Christmas)
(and no, I'm not referring to Christmas)
What is the most wonderful time of the year? Well, for me (among many others) it's the first day of the new school year. It may seem quite ironic, me a mother of four children, waiting to get my kids off to school. Don't get me wrong! I DO love my children, and I DO love spending time with them... I just enjoy spending time alone as well. When kids are at school I can actually hear myself think. Imagine that! And trust me, I enjoy the silence. I find that when I'm alone I don't listen to the radio, watch TV, or do anything that requires any sound. I just like to hear the wind blow, birds chirp and just let my mind wander. It's a refreshing feeling. No, I don't get bored nor do I get lonely. Well, today is the first day of school for all of our kids, so I sit here and let my mind wander. But the morning didn't quite start out that way.
This year we are down to two schools (YEA!). Boys will be at same school and the girls will be at the same school. I can't believe that my kids are getting so much older. Chris started 10th grade today, and Jeffrey started 9th grade at Rio Americano High School. This is the first time they've been in the same school since we left Ohio... three years ago. Last time they were in the same school they were 5th & 6th graders... and I thought they were big then! Anyhow, they have their plates full this year... so I'll watch nervously as they maneuver their schedule. Girls are at Mariemont Elementary School together for just one more year. Lizzy is in 6th grade and will move onto middle school next year & Rachel is in 4th grade. Both girls have a male teacher this year, and both of their classes are mixed class (Lizzy in 5th/6th grade combo, and Rachel in 4th/5th grade combo). I've heard great things about both of their teachers so I am expecting a great year. I'm always nervous at the beginning of the year though ... you never know how the year will shape up.
As our children grow older I am constantly reminded how little time we have with them... before they go off to college and move into the world. I am both excited and nervous... knowing that many things are out of our hands, but hoping that we have prepared our children to be able to tackle many obstacles that may come their way. I know that we have tried our best to instill in our children to aim high, to uphold moral values, and become contributing members of the society. Only time will tell. I know all I can do is to continue to be a supportive & loving mother to them...
This year we are down to two schools (YEA!). Boys will be at same school and the girls will be at the same school. I can't believe that my kids are getting so much older. Chris started 10th grade today, and Jeffrey started 9th grade at Rio Americano High School. This is the first time they've been in the same school since we left Ohio... three years ago. Last time they were in the same school they were 5th & 6th graders... and I thought they were big then! Anyhow, they have their plates full this year... so I'll watch nervously as they maneuver their schedule. Girls are at Mariemont Elementary School together for just one more year. Lizzy is in 6th grade and will move onto middle school next year & Rachel is in 4th grade. Both girls have a male teacher this year, and both of their classes are mixed class (Lizzy in 5th/6th grade combo, and Rachel in 4th/5th grade combo). I've heard great things about both of their teachers so I am expecting a great year. I'm always nervous at the beginning of the year though ... you never know how the year will shape up.
As our children grow older I am constantly reminded how little time we have with them... before they go off to college and move into the world. I am both excited and nervous... knowing that many things are out of our hands, but hoping that we have prepared our children to be able to tackle many obstacles that may come their way. I know that we have tried our best to instill in our children to aim high, to uphold moral values, and become contributing members of the society. Only time will tell. I know all I can do is to continue to be a supportive & loving mother to them...
1 comment:
ah, tender tender insight from a real mom. you love them but when they are away... it's like "vacation" good! I sit here in the quietness, darkness of my computer room.
Post a Comment