Friday, April 18, 2008

Internet Addiction?

Today I came across an article (via internet, of course) on this new phenomenon. We all know that we spend a little more time than we'd like on the internet, but when is it addiction? Well, here are some questions you need to ask yourselves. They are the danger signs of internet addiction.
  • Have your family or friends complained about the amount of time you spend online?
  • Are you less involved with your spouse or friends because of your involvement with the Internet?
  • Have you lied to your spouse or family members about your Internet usage?
  • Do you feel estrangement in your relationship with God because of your involvement with the Internet (pornography, gambling, etc.)?
  • Do you avoid social engagements or try to leave such engagements early in order to spend more time on the Internet?
  • Do you hide your Internet involvement from your spouse or family members?
  • Do you, your spouse, or family members stay up late, after everyone has gone to bed, so you can log onto the Internet privately?
  • Have you, your spouse or a family member experienced an increase in moodiness, anger and harsh blaming?
  • Have you, your spouse or family member tried to stop your involvement with the Internet, but have been unable to do so?
Wow! Answers to the above questions surprised me. I know we all have this problem to certain extent. All the blogging, e-mails, facebook pokers, etc. I have been quite aware that I spend more time on the internet than I intend to, but answering the above questions honestly, and reading the article Texting while driving? Time to unplug (Reuters) hit home. In addition, I did the following test: Internet Addiction Test (IAT). Verdict? Yes, I have a problem. I need to take some drastic measures to change my lifestyle. There's even a place called The Center for Internet Behavior.

So where do I go from here? Well, I guess I need to do some more research (hehe)! No, in all seriousness the article talks about how people are taking a Secular Sabbath, or Unplugged Day ... one day a week where they will unplug EVERYTHING! Cellphones, computer, T.V., e-mail... everything electronic. I suppose we could all do this on our REAL SABBATH! I know it will not come easy at first... I know I'll need to SCHEDULE it in. Maybe I need to start using the "kitchen timer" that I make my children use when they play video games or play on the computer. Whatever it is, I know I need to make some changes. Wish me luck!


No comments: